Abdelkader Hawasli, MD
Dr. Hawasli is board certified in general surgery since 1986. He is the director of Laparoscopic Surgery and the Minimally Invasive Surgery Center at St. John Hospital. He was the president of Michigan Society of General Surgeons and the president of the Michigan Chapter of the American Society of General Surgeons. Dr. Hawasli has been on the teaching staff at St. John Hospital since 1985.
Dr. Hawasli pioneered laparoscopic removal of the gallbladder in 1989. Since then he has been on the leading edge of other laparoscopic minimally invasive procedures. He pioneered single incision, laparoscopic gallbladder surgery (cholecystectomy) in 2008. He has performed several thousands of such procedures, including removal of the gallbladder, appendix, spleen, adrenal gland, colon, and repair of groin hernia, and hiatal hernia. In addition, he has been performing anti-reflux procedures for heartburn (GERD). Recently, Dr. Hawasli added the Linx procedure, the latest in minimally invasive anti-reflux surgery.
Dr. Hawasli also brought laparoscopic removal of kidneys for transplant, as well as, laparoscopic Cryo and recently radio-frequency ablation of unresectable liver cancers.
Dr. Hawasli added the laparoscopic placement of Lap-Band and laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy for morbid obesity.
In addition to revisional bariatric surgery, Dr. Hawasli has interest in minimally invasive endocrine surgery such as removal of the thyroid and parathyroid.
- M.D. 1972 - 1978
Damascus University, School of Medicine
Licensure & Certification
- Michigan Board of Medicine, August, 1981
- Diplomat American Board of Surgery 1986
- Re-certified: Diplomat American Board of Surgery 1995
- Re-certified: Diplomat American Board of Surgery, 2004
- ATLS certified 2003 & recertified 2007
- PALS certified 2007
- American Medical Association
- Detroit Surgical Association
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- Fellow, International College of Surgeons (FICS)
- Wayne County Medical Society
- Michigan State Medical Society
- Academy of Surgery of Detroit
- Midwest Surgical Association
- The Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons
- Michigan Society of General Surgeons
- American Society of General Surgeons
- Arab American Medical Association
- American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine
- Wayne State University, Assistant Clinical Professor, 2007 - Present
- Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine, Assistant Clinical Professor, 2011 - Present
- "Top Doc" in "Detroit Monthly Magazine": Jan. 1993, Feb. 1995
- “Top Doc” in "Hour Detroit Magazine": 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- "Top Surgeon in America" 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009